Thursday, June 5, 2008

My preparation for the RKC

As promised earlier:

First of all I have to mention one name with highest respect: Brett Jones! I have already referred to his article “It’s Called a “Challenge” for Good Reason! How to Prepare for – and PASS – the RKC Instructor Certification Workshop” published in HardStyle (page 6). If you want to go to the RKC really prepared, do this! Of course you can supplement it with other funny things like VO2 max, but a better basis than this would be hard to find.

Of course, when you are at the stage preparing for the RKC cert supposedly you have already got familiar with ETK (Enter The Kettlebell) and can perform the basic drills almost perfect – ask an RKC for confirmation or troubleshooting! Another great help can be – as it was in my case – the DVD of Brett: Kettlebell Basics for Strength Coaches and Personal Trainers.
Now, as for my personal preparatory workouts:
Whereas I knew that at the cert I will have to work with 12 kg KB three consecutive days of 7-8 hours I performed my preparation workouts basically with 16 kg in the four months prior to the cert, except for double workouts with two 12 kg KBs (sometimes I worked with two 16 kg KBs but it was not general). My position was that if I can do it one or one and a half hour a day with 16 kg then it is very likely that 12 kg at the cert will not be too much. It has proven to be right in my case – however it does not mean that every RKC candidate has to work with a heavier bell.
My weekly training schedule contained
- three trainings at two different RKC-s (in the evenings),
- three days where I followed the workouts of Brett (signalized in my training schedule as “BJ#1”, “BJ#2” and “BJ#3” J),
- during the training days or BJ-days two VO2 max sessions (prior to the training or in the morning),
- one resting day when I did only yoga.
I performed the VO2 max sessions for 36/36 sec variations with 12 kg and for 15/15 sec variations with 16 kg.
Besides, I made the snatch test every four week for one weight class higher than applicable for me, with both 12 kg and 16 kg.
It was very efficient: I passed the RKC and together with Gabi Katschthaler, Enikő Bodnár, Ádám Tóth and László Nyíri have been asked to assist at the Budapest RKC cert in October 2008. (Of course, as mentioned in my first blogspot, there are people who helped a lot to achieve this and whom I am very thankful for that.)
Naturally, this is not the only and unique way to prepare properly for the RKC but maybe worth considering it. Collect several opinions and preparation plans from RKC-s (I bet you will often meet the article of Brett) and – as Pavel tends to say – appraise your conditions, the requirements and use your common sense! Power to you!

No comments: