Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Kettlebell and pregnancy

The video on the blog of Peter Lakatos on Yoana Snideman, RKC Team Leader doing her snatch test in the 9th month of pregnancy, generated ambivalent reactions. Even if a part of the kettlebell society is not directly concerned, I think this is an important issue, for during the childbearing period nothing is superior than the health of the baby. All the same I can hardly imagine myself to fall in inactivity once becoming pregnant so it would be great to find a healthy balance.
I read the posts of Yoana she wrote on her workouts during pregnancy. It is quite impressive but do not forget: Yoana is an RKC Team Leader and Physical Therapist. Of course not all KB-fanatic ladies have her condition and training practice, thus she could be rather considered as an exception.
Having no personal experiences on pregnancy I reverted to my Team Leader at the RKC Budapest, Dr. Mark Cheng with the question, whose wife, Dr. Courtney Mizuhara-Cheng, RKC II has been training with kettlebells even before the birth of their child.
According to Doc Cheng one thing is strictly forbidden: to start kettlebell training during pregnancy. I suppose anyone who has already tried the sport needs no explanation why. Besides, it is a general experience that kettlebell has a beneficial effect in this case, as well, to begin with pregnancy induced diabetes, and incontinence, continuing with the fact that strength, flexibility, muscular tone, right tension and condition make the birth itself easier for the mother and is a big help when looking after the baby. Just thing of the potential consequences of the lifting the bell with no straight back! Well, if the right attitude has already been fixed earlier, it will come when lifting the child, thus avoiding potential injuries of the back, etc.
Consequently, if you have been training with kettlebell for a while and become pregnant – provided that your doctor does not forbid you to do so – you can continue the trainings but you should immediately scale the workload (it is advisable to switch to a lighter weight) and the intensity of the workouts.
Doc Cheng, e.g. definitely disadvises workouts like VO2max and snatch test (if you have ever tried these you should understand the reason). Yoana probably has a different opinion, but I am 100% sure that she did not want to jeopardize the health of her child. However, they both share the view that – provided that no special conditions apply – women could profit a lot at and after childbirth from the continued KB training, reasonably adjusted to the situation.
I think that the above shall apply for the nursing/breastfeeding accordingly. I would add, just as Pavel tends to say: “Appraise the conditions and use your rational judgment!” And of course, you should consult your doctor and an RKC.
Prior to increasing the intensity of kettlebell workout after nursing it is also advisable to consult an expert but I suppose there is no need to insist long how effective the bell can be to regain your shape – e.g. take a look at the wife of Doc Cheng or Yoana. Convincing, aren't they? :-)
Having received the authorization I will contact Dr. Courtney Mizuhara-Cheng directly to inquire for her experiences and I will try to get in touch with Yoana Snideman, as well. Naturally I gladly welcome all comments, whether based on practical experience, professional or private view!

2 comments:

Yoana Teran Snideman said...

Hello Rita,

Thanks for the e-mail. Yes, the whole topic about training while pregnant is indeed a very interesting and widely debated topic. Here are my insights regarding your e-mail and your questions.

1) I do believe that every pregnancy must be treated differently as each women is bringing into her pregnancy a unique medical history and training background. Women must always get the approval from their doctor regarding exercise, ALWAYS.

In my case I had a lifetime of training experience and many years of high level kettlebell training underneath my belt. As you know I did train with kettlebells during my entire pregnancy, even up to the last two weeks. However, what people must know is that prior to getting pregnant I was regularly exposing my body to kettlebell movements with the 20kg and 24kg KB. So for me to perform a KB snatch test with a 12kg KB (even though I was pregnant) was a walk in the park for me.

I used a 12kg KB during my pregnancy so the question one must ask is; was my pregnancy training EXTREME? The obvious answer is NO, it was not extreme. My body was used to such a heavier bell that I felt I was not compromising the health of my baby by continuing to perform the basic KB movements with a lighter bell. My Doctor (who knows very well how I compete and what I do) gave me a very positive recommendation to continue to lift and train, although with less weight and with less intensity. But my Doctor was always encouraging me to continue.

2)I also agree that women shouldn't do crazy vo2 max work or try to set new PR's while pregnant. The objective MUST and should always be the health of the baby. If a women who has little to no prior training experience before her pregnancy should not start an intense KB (or any other type of exercise program for that matter)during her pregnancy. That is just too dangerous and irresponsible. But if the women does have a training history and assuming that the pregnancy is going well (& assuming that the doctor has given her the green light to train), I see no reason why that women should not continue to train and keep herself healthy. Afterall, if the mom is healthy, then the baby will have a better chance at being healhty as well.

3) I have experienced how awesome it is to go into your pregnancy strong and fit and how training while pregnant makes the delivery process so much better. What I mean is that a better conditioned female will more times than not have a better birthing experience than the deconditioned women who has no muscle tone and less mental toughness. There are just too many benefits from taking an intelligent approach to strenght trianing.

4) Exercising while pregnant also helps you recover better after the birth of your child. It also assists you in choosing better nutrition methods that lead to a healthy mother and baby.

I hope my pregnancy journey will be able to help others. In our up coming Kettlebell DVD we have a section where we interwied my doctor regarding this topic.

Blessings,

Yoana.... and Marianna :)
www.revolutionlajolla.com
yoana@revolutionlajolla.com

Rita Nemeth, RKC said...

Dear Yoana,
Thank you very much for your kind and detailed response! I think it is a great help for many KB-ladies! Your training record prior and during the pregnancy is an especially great support. I was sure your condition is superior to most human beings :-) and with these data everyone can calculate her own proportions. However, I completely agree with you that consulting the doctor and an RKC is essential!
I will translate and publish your comment on my Hungarian blog.
Thank you again 1000times and wish you many-many happy hours with Marianna!
Kindest regards,
Rita