Saturday, May 17, 2008

Switch to heavier weight

Whereas this question came up sometimes in my milieu, I hereby share my own experiences and thoughts.
Below it is assumed that the initial weight has been chosen adequately (see hereto Pavel: Enter the Kettlebell, in the practice ask an RKC for advice).
As for me, I followed the principle of absolute gradual progress, having in view the opinion of Pavel and the tips of Peter Lakatos.
Primary aspect was to learn the right performance of the techniques. I had the luck to start the kettlebell training in the group of Peter, so that I could accomplish the first three months under professional supervision. By the end the techniques ingrained and I could perform them easily with the 8 kg bell, in the last weeks swinging already 12 kg.
I started the next training period with a 12 kg KB. From the ballistic techniques I performed the prescribed repetitions, from the static series in the first two-three weeks 3, then 2 and finally 1 rep(s) less pro series. Afterwards I could integrate myself with it into the normal pace of the training. I held to the 12 kg for approximately 6 months; in the last section I often worked with two kettlebells.
Naturally, after a while I started to make eyes at the 16 kg bell. Following the well-tried schedule: some weeks of swing, at the beginning 10 reps less per series, at the second time only five less, at the third time full reps. The eight is a friendly technique just as well, so I included it into the 16 kg club. When swings did not make me too tired with 16 kg, I switched to it at ballistic techniques, too, at the beginning with fewer reps, gradually developing to the standard quantity of reps. When these could be perform without too much effort and with the right technique, came the turn of static exercises. After circa one year I have started to perform the whole training with 16 kg kettlebell. At first foremost at the ladders I often had to use the push-press but (thank Brett Jones seeIt's Called aChallenge" for Good Reason! How to Prepare for and PASS the RKC Instructor Certification Workshop") I got to the ordinary military presses. In the meantime of course I coquetted with the 20 and 24 kg for swing, too, and some time it came to 50 snatches with the 20 kg bell per 5-5 reps and rests. :-)

I would like to add, however, that in the week preceding the RKC I only worked with 12 kg and that in lighter style, too (another time I will write about the preparation, too). At present I am regenerating and I plan to reverse to 16 kg when my knee is recovered, and when I feel like being ready, I will start to integrate the 20 kg bell, according to the schedule above.
I want to stress that the above is a gradual training schedule designed personally for me, discussed with instructors. It is not sure that it would work for everyone. Anyhow, should you want to try it, I call your attention to the following:
- Kettlebell training is no race. You can get pretty tired with 8 kg as well (see the post of Gabi: http://hungariancouragecorner.blogspot.com/2008/05/respect-weight.html). At the RKC for example, Kenneth illustrated wonderfully that a professional of his size and strength can perform very intensive training even with a 12 kg bell, using the according technique. You do yourself very well with kettlebell, but you can harm yourself a lot, too (to quote Pavel: "It's your fault!" and I would like to stress, how important gradual progress is considered by Pavel).
- I made a lot of sports before starting kettlebell, too. This provides a far different basis to KB, as well, than as if I would have taken the bell after years of sloth. The loading capacity, the flexibility of muscles, etc. are different.
- In my opinion the fact that I can press the heavier weight from strength does not necessarily mean that my muscles and foremost my joints are prepared to. One can jump 4 to 8 kg-s up per month or abruptly perform work in double mode with the weight but in can lead to overexertion, overtraining and then there is no choice but to make a rest. Meanwhile on falls back and can restart from a lower level although one could have been far more further with a gradually built up improvement.
- I noted well at the very beginning, having confirmed by the RKC: most important is to learn the right performance of the techniques with lighter weight in order to anchor the correct movements. If one switches to a heavier KB one has to concentrate to hold, stand the weight and as I experience and see one has not the equal share of concentration on the perfect performance (which is the basis to avoid injury). But if the movements are conditioned accordingly (that takes time) this makes no problem.
Finally, a quote from Kenneth Jay, expressed by him after the VO2 max session (15/15 sec) at the RKC cert: „If you can make eighty series of this, you can switch to a heavier weight!"

No comments: